Michelle Slowey, MA,RDN
"Souper Soups" to warm your soul
Red Lentil Soup
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 red onion
7 medium size carrots
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 small sweet potato
7 cups chicken bone broth
16 oz dried red lentils
1 small apple
low fat sour cream (optional)
If you have a crock pot that also has a browning or saute setting this can be a one pot dish.
1. Chop the carrots and sweet potato into small round pieces and saute in EVOO. Add dried Italian seasonings, pink himalyan salt and black pepper to taste.
2.Finely chop onions and garlic and saute in EVOO
3. Once the above ingredients are softened add the chicken broth and lentils.
4. Slow cook on high for about 4 hours. Add the chopped apple the last hour.
5. Mash lightly with a potato masher or electric immersion blender for about 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!